October 27, 2011

Eve

This last Easter I was given a book by my mom called, "Eve And The Choice Made In Eden" by Beverly Campbell. I started reading it and then summer got in the way so it got neglected. I picked it up again about a month ago and couldn't put it down (which is a big deal for me because I have a hard time finishing church books). This was exactly the book that I needed to read. I whole-heartedly recommend that all women (and even men) read this book.

I've always had a hard time understanding the need for "the fall" and Eve's role regarding her decision to eat the fruit. I just felt like there was more to Eve than what you you read in the scriptures or learn about in the temple. I wanted to understand but wasn't sure how to. This book opened my eyes, helped me understand the necessity of "the fall", and most of all deeply appreciate what happened in the garden and how it applies to me today. I feel like I now gain so much more when I go to the temple. I understand more of what my role is, as a woman, in the gospel and how men and women are each given specific qualities that together create a symbiotic relationship. I know why Eve made her decision and I now can say that I love her for it! She was (and is) an incredible woman and is unfortunately so misunderstood. Most of the world have seen her actions as wrong and that she was disobedient. Instead it is quite the opposite. She made a huge sacrifice but she knew that it was what needed to be done. Together with Adam they stepped into the unknown, away from God's presence, because they loved us and were willing to give all of their comfort for the possibility of future generations.

I'm not going to go into much of what is in the book, but I did want to share a quote and poem that was near the end that really resonated within me. The poem, written by Beverly Campbell, was inspired by the following quote from President Howard W. Hunter. It reads, "As our Lord and Savior needed the women of His time for a comforting hand, a listening ear, a believing heart, a kind look, an encouraging word, loyalty--even in His hour of humiliation, agony, and death--so we, His servants all across the Church need you, the women of the church."

The poem:

"We Will Stand"

A hand reaches out.
A voice is heard.
A prophet's invitation-plea: "Come stand with us."
Type and shadow of another voice: "Come follow me."
Woman answers: "I will stand with you!"
"Woman has always stood," Echoes from corridors of time.

I am woman in the Garden--Mother of all living who
courageously partook that man might be.
I am woman at the stable--Who gently acquiesced that a
God-child might also be.
Will I stand?
Without question I will stand!

I am woman at the well--first to whom Jesus revealed
Himself as Messiah, anxious to alert others of identity divine.
I am woman-friend of Jesus--in whose home of faith the dead was raised,
disciples taught saving truths sublime.
Will I stand?
Could I do other than stand?

I am woman with the alabaster box--anointing the Savior unto His burial;
lone in recognition that crucifixion is near.
I am woman at the tomb--asked to deliver the glorious
message that a risen Christ did appear.
Will I stand?
Indeed, I will stand.

In the Garden
At the Cradle
By the Cross
Woman has always stood!

As a woman-disciple I will utilize my love, intellect, and
energy to strengthen my family and then the families of our society.

As a daughter-disciple I will see selflessness, sacrifice, and
compassion as traits of the Savior; I will focus on
righteousness, service, and wholeness.

As a sister-disciple, I will stand with and I will stand for
His beloved prophets and apostles, and with His
servants all across the Church, just as did my sisters
stand with the Savior, even in the hour of His
humiliation, agony, and death.

Out of my strength I will offer--
A comforting hand
A listening ear
A believing heart
An encouraging word
An unstinting loyalty
A partnership of trust

Will women stand?
To the last breath.
We will stand!




1 comment:

Amy Edwards said...

Wow, such a great post Laura! I love that book and have actually read it several times and it's all sorts of highlighted and scribbled in. I even made Mark read it not too long ago. It is by far one of my top ten church books. Read her follow up to that one called "Eve And The Mortal Journey." Equally as soul-stirring. I have it if you want to borrow it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. As you needed to read the book right now, I needed to read your post about it! By the way, Amelia loves looking at all the pictures of Palmer. Keep em' coming!